Your Roofing System plays a critical role in keeping your home healthy, efficient, and free of water damage.
WHAT IS UNDERLAYMENT?
Roofing underlayment is an essential component to the roofing materials’ ability to withstand the elements, protect a home’s interior, and prolong its service life. An underlayment performs several functions; it provides:
- Weather protection for a limited time until a roof covering is installed
- A secondary weatherproofing barrier when moisture infiltrates the roof system
- Separation between a roof covering and a substrate
In addition, underlayment’s generally are necessary with asphalt shingle roof systems for the following reasons:
- To comply with the applicable building code
- To maintain a Class A, B or C fire rating for a roof assembly
- To meet the requirements of the manufacturer for a material or system warranty
- To bridge or cover minor substrate surface imperfections
ABOUT GAF TIGER PAW™ BREATHABLE FELT
Superior-quality roof deck protection should protect your home by providing a critical extra layer of protection between your shingles and your roof deck. It helps prevent wind-driven rain (or water from other sources) from infiltrating under your shingles and causing damage to your roof structure, or to the inside of your home. In addition, superior-quality roof deck protection will:
- Help reduce damaging moisture that can become trapped on your roof deck
- Provide longer-lasting leak protection than conventional “felts” (which can rot or become brittle before your shingles reach their useful life)
- Help your shingles lay flat and uniform, for a better-looking finished roof